The All-Party Parliamentary Group on a Fit and Healthy Childhood
Chair: Jim Fitzpatrick MP
Co-Chair: Baroness (Floella) Benjamin of Beckenham OBE
Vice-Chairs: Ian Austin MP, Nic Dakin MP, Nigel Dodds MP, Julie Elliot MP, Diana Johnson MP, Lord McColl of Dulwich
The purpose of this Group
To promote evidence based discussion and produce reports on all aspects of childhood health and wellbeing including obesity; to inform policy decisions and public debate relating to childhood; and to enable communications between interested parties and relevant parliamentarians. The Group was formally recognised in December 2013. Its official details are recorded on the Parliamentary website at: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmallparty/register/fit-and-healthy-childhood.htm.
Please note that this is not an official website of the House of Commons or the House of Lords. It has not been approved by either House or its Committees. All-Party Groups are informal groups of members of both Houses with a common interest in particular issues. Any views expressed in these pages or in our reports are those of the Group. The Group seeks to influence the views of Parliament and of Government to better address these issues.
Working Group Reports
The aim of our Reports is to assist policy-makers reach decisions on best evidence. The latest working group on Maternal Obesity launches in late October 2016.
The report from the Physical Education working group is available here, We gratefully acknowledge the support and sponsorship of Mytime Active, Quorn Foods, Slimming World and Danone Nutricia.
The Report from our Working Group on 'The National Obesity Framework’ is available here. We gratefully acknowledge the sponsorship of Mytime Active, Quorn Foods, Danone Nutricia and Slimming World.
The Report from our Working Group on 'Play' is available here. When the window opens, please click "Download through your browser". We gratefully acknowledge the sponsorship of LeapFrog Toys.
The Report from our Working Group on 'Food in Schools and the Teaching of Food’ is available here. We gratefully acknowledge the sponsorship of Quorn Foods Ltd.
The Report from our Working Group on 'The Early Years’ is available here. We gratefully acknowledge the sponsorship of the University of Northampton.
The Report from our Working Group on 'Healthy patterns for healthy families: clearing the hurdles to a healthy family' is available here. We gratefully acknowledge the sponsorship of Slimming World.
- 25/01/17 at 6 pm - 'Working with the Childhood Obesity Plan', with Tim Rycroft, Director for Corporate Affairs, Food and Drink Federation, and other speakers tba.
- 30/11/16 - Children's Oral Health, with Professor Nigel Hunt of the Royal College of Surgeons, Sara Hurley, the Chief Dental Officer for England, Claire Stevens from the University Dental Hospital of Manchester, and Dominique Tillen from Brushbaby.
- 19/10/16 - launch of our report on physical education, with Sarah Wollaston MP, Chair of the Health Select Committee, Rosena Allin-Khan MP, Shadow Sport Secretary, and Kelvin Hopkins MP, former Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport.
- 06/07/16 - Promoting public health in pregnancy: the foundations for a healthy family - with Louise Silverton CBE, Director for Midwifery, Royal College of Midwives, and Amanda Avery RD, Assistant Prof. in Nutrition and Dietetics at University of Nottingham and Consultant Dietitian, Slimming World
- 25/05/16 - Industry Initiatives Towards a Healthier Diet, with Justine Hare, Senior Corporate Affairs Manager, Mars Food UK, Polly Jones, Senior Corporate Affairs Manager, Asda Stores, Dr Hayley Marson, Company Nutritionist, Asda Stores, and Joel Morris, Director Public Affairs & Communications at Coca-Cola Great Britain.
- 20/04/16 - The tax on sugary drinks (and what else we might expect from the National Obesity Strategy), with Tim Rycroft, Director of Corporate Affairs, Food and Drink Federation; Prof. Philip James, Hon. Professor of Nutrition, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine; Prof. Simon Capewell, Vice President for Policy, UK Faculty of Public Health, Prof. of Clinical Epidemiology, Univ. of Liverpool
- 24/02/16 - Andrew Cook, Ofsted’s Regional Director for the East of England, Eustace de Souza, national lead on children, young people and families at Public Health England, and Prof. Nick Draper, University of Derby - "The role of physical education and activity in a fit and healthy childhood"
- 19/01/16 - Katharine Teague, Head of Advocacy, AB Sugar, and Julia Manning, Chief Executive, 2020Health
- 01/12/15 - Dr. Alison Tedstone, National Lead, Diet and Obesity and Chief Nutritionist for Public Health England
- 28/10/15 - we were addressed by Tesco on their ten point plan to combat obesity.
- 14/10/15 - launch of the Play Report. Speakers include Tony Hicks, LeapFrog Toys, Dr. David Whitebread, University of Cambridge, and Mark Hardy, Chairman, Association of Play Industries.
- 16/09/15 - Prof Ian Macdonald Chair, Scientific Advisory Committee on Nutrition’s working group on carbohydrates)
- 21/07/15 - with Professor Neena Modi, President of the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- 17/06/15 - with Dr Estelle Mackay MSc PhD SRD and Dr Emma Derbyshire BSc PhD RNutr, who led a discussion on our new report ‘Food in Schools and the Teaching of Food’
- 18/03/15 – Sir Al Aynsley-Green, President Elect of the BMA and the first Children’s Commissioner – ‘Breaking down the barriers between health and education’
- 25/02/15 - Dr. Gavin Sandercock, University of Essex, and Rob Newsome OBE, head teacher of Dyffryn Taf school. Go to the bottom of this page if you would like to read The Children's Health & Fitness Policy Recommendations Report from Fitmedia, produced after the meeting.
- 21/01/15 - Baroness Tanni Grey Thompson.
- 09/12/14 - Luciana Berger MP, Shadow Public Health Minister.
- 25/11/14 - Malcolm Clark, Lambeth Councillor, co-ordinator of the Children's Food Campaign, and Councillor Alison Martin, Cabinet Member, Derby City Council.
- 05/11/14 - Dr. Sarah Wollaston MP, Chair of the Health Select Committee.
- 21/10/14 - Prof. Mike Kelly, Director of the Centre of Public Health at NICE, and Dr. Jacquie Lavin, Head of Research and Nutrition at Slimming World.
- 09/07/14 - Dr. Robert Lustig, author of ‘Fat Chance: The Bitter Truth About Sugar’, will address the Group
- 14/05/14 - Labour Shadow Secretary of State Rt. Hon. Andy Burnham outlined Labour’s proposals for regulation relating to childrens food
- 08/04/14 - with Professor David Walker, Deputy Chief Medical Officer for Health in England, and Professor Jack Winkler, Former Professor of Nutrition Policy, London Metropolitan University
- 11/02/14 - Inaugural meeting with our Chair, Baroness (Floella) Benjamin of Beckenham OBE, who introduced the Group and set out our ambitions.
If you have not yet joined the APPG
We recognise that without the support of charitable, corporate and individual interests and experts in the field, it will not be possible to fulfil our ambitious agenda. There is a modest annual fee. Full details of this and sponsorship opportunities are available from the Group Secretariat at: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can read or download 'The Children's Health & Fitness Policy Recommendations Report from Fitmedia' which was produced after the February 2015 meeting.